Google’s Jupyter-related service is known as “Google Colaboratory” or “Colab.” Colab is a hosted Jupyter Notebook service that requires no setup to use and provides free access to computing resources, including GPUs and TPUs. It’s particularly well-suited for machine learning, data science, and educational purposes.
Jupyter itself, separate from Google’s offering, provides various tools and platforms for interactive computing across multiple programming languages. The most notable among these are JupyterLab and Jupyter Notebook.
- JupyterLab: JupyterLab is the latest web-based interactive development environment for notebooks, code, and data. Its flexible interface allows users to configure and arrange workflows in data science, scientific computing, computational journalism, and machine learning. JupyterLab’s modular design invites extensions to expand and enrich functionality.
- Jupyter Notebook: The Jupyter Notebook is the original web application developed by Project Jupyter for creating and sharing computational documents. It offers a simple, streamlined, document-centric experience. This platform has been fundamental in various computational and scientific workflows.
- Language Support: Jupyter supports over 40 programming languages, including popular ones like Python, R, Julia, and Scala, making it a versatile tool for a wide range of programming and data analysis tasks.
- Integration with Big Data Tools: Jupyter enables the use of big data tools such as Apache Spark from Python, R, and Scala. It also allows exploration of data with pandas, scikit-learn, ggplot2, and TensorFlow, which are essential tools in data science and machine learning.
- Voilà for Web Applications: Voilà is a tool within the Jupyter ecosystem that transforms notebooks into secure, stand-alone web applications. These applications can be customized and shared, making it easier to communicate insights and results from data analysis or computational research.
In summary, Jupyter, including its various tools and extensions, provides a comprehensive, flexible environment for a wide range of computational tasks, from basic programming to complex data analysis and machine learning. The integration with Google through Colab further enhances its accessibility and utility, especially for those who require advanced computing resources.